September 30, 2020
Treaty 1 Territory, Winnipeg MB—Today, the Official Opposition Manitoba NDP is calling on the Pallister government to ensure schools have adequate funding for the 2020/2021 school year.
Education Critic Nello Altomare is recommending that the government uses last year’s enrollment numbers to ensure that kids have enough teachers and one-to-one support.
“Today on ‘count day’, we are urging the Pallister government to base their funding on last year’s enrollment. Their consistent funding cuts have meant that schools are already struggling to cope with larger class sizes and increased costs due to COVID. With continued virus outbreaks in schools and some parents choosing to homeschool, it is critical that teachers and parents have the resources necessary to ensure kids are safe at school and continue learning throughout this pandemic,” said Altomare.
Official Opposition Leader Wab Kinew also pointed out that the planned education review by KPMG is expected to recommend more funding cuts.
“We know that schools are already strapped and there are more challenges for teachers and parents with the pandemic. We have heard teachers and EAs who shared that they are expected to develop tailored lesson plans, monitor and keep kids distanced, and deliver online learning in some cases. The Pallister government can’t continue to use the pandemic as a disguise to make more cuts. Put the needs of kids first, ahead of balancing the budget, because every child deserves a shot at success,” said Kinew.